Friday, October 31, 2008

Obama draws crowd of 25,000 in Des Moines today









"On the day of the Iowa caucuses, my faith in the American people was vindicated and what you started here in Iowa has swept the nation,"
Obama told a crowd his campaign said totaled ab
out 25,000 in a downtown park under a warm fall sun.


"A couple of elections ago, there was a presidential candidate who decried this kind of politics and condemned these kinds of tactics. And I admired him for it. He said, 'I will not take the low road to the highest office in this land.' Those words were spoken eight years ago by my opponent, John McCain," he said. "But the high road didn't lead him to the White House then, so this time, he decided to take a different route."

Obama also criticized a new McCain ad that shows the Democratic nominee in the past praising McCain and Sen. Joseph Lieberman for their work on global warming.

"As if there's something wrong with acknowledging when an opponent has said or done something that makes sense," Obama said. "I do that all the time....I think we need more of that attitude in Washington. We need more civility in Washington. I don't disagree with Senator McCain on everything. I respect his occasional displays of independence."

Left two photos: Linda Turner, Right photo: Don Abbott

No comments: